Monday 9 March 2009

Sex, Drugs, and Acoustic Guitar

The past couple of weeks have been mildly debaucherous... For freshness of mind reasons I'm going to report them in reverse or random order, beginning with last night- a sample of which is depicted for your viewing pleasure to the left.

As some sort of effort to integrate the various nationalities at Rangsit University's International College, the school took us on a three day trip to the beach about 3 hours Southwest of Bangkok. They rented out a nice resort and bussed all 200 of us down there, leaving us to our own devices. I unfortunately had to go to the hospital on the morning of the departure to deal with this lung ailment I've been suffering from for the past month, but I made it to Ban Phe by about 7:30, by which time every single other person was like 6 whiskey neats deep. 

The party had taken the form of a free style international rap battle, (which somehow these Bhutanese guys were dominating) spread out along these gazebos on the beach and enhanced by the attendance of many of our professors. Things escalated seemingly quickly from there, and soon enough there were people in various stages of nakedness running into the ocean and tackling each other. After we were all coerced out of that potentially hazardous situation, we opted for chicken fighting in the hotel pool which only ended up being equally if not more hazardous. 

The next day, those of us who made it up while the sun was still out, rented tubes and just bobbed in the ocean for hours. While this was really relaxing and fun, it also kind of simulating the effects of a washing machine which isn't optimal for the morning after. That night was more of the same, only this time there were 8-year-old fire dancers and spin-the-bottle involved. It was a really great bonding experience for the group, some of whom bonded a lot more than others- and to my knowledge only 5 people threw up and only 1 item of hotel property was destroyed. Being that I had nothing to do with any of the above, I call the entire trip a success and only wish it had lasted longer (and had better food). 

This brings me to things I wish had lasted less time- namely, my friend Q's twenty first birthday which was last week. In the morning, I went to the floating markets which were really boring and annoying and sweaty. As soon as I got in the door, I had to quickly get ready and make myself presentable to meet up with Q, our friends Kirk and Joran (Van Der Sloot-- Google him), and Q's mom, who was visiting and was us out to dinner for his birthday. We went to a restaurant in the State Tower which is famous for it's Sky Bar on the 56th floor that overlooks all of Bangkok. We ate on the 54th floor and had a table right on the edge of the roof- it was totally incredible. I tried taking pictures, but none of them came out well. This was probably the classiest and nicest restaurant I've ever been to in my life. If you question its classiness hear this: They gave me an upholstered stool to put my purse on next to my chair. I mean come on. 

When we were finished dinner we went back to Q's mom's hotel for more drinks (on her) and then went to this club called Bed. Aptly, instead of tables in this club, there are only beds, the entire place is filled with beds. I think it's an international gimmick and I'm pretty sure they have one in New York. I'm not sure how they compare, but this one was really nice. Apparently I have been hanging out with all of the wrong people up until now (no offense guys) because the guys I was with payed for EVERYTHING the whole night. Just to get into the club was about $40 a person, and drinks were also extremely overpriced. I just stood around and if my hand was ever empty I only had to wait about 20 seconds for someone to put a drink in it. This graciousness extended to cab fare and munchy snacks (which became increasingly important later in the night) and I managed to go the whole night without dropping a single Baht.  


 around 4 we went back to Kirk and Joran's house which is about a 6 minute walk from where Q and I live (our apartments are next to each other's). I can't really get into details here, but let's just say we put all those fuckers who take 21 shots on their 21st birthdays to total fucking shame. I got home at 11:30 that morning, and given the state I was in, I am considering skipping my own 21st birthday entirely. And I shall say no more. 


I don't have much planned for the next couple of days... Ben and Ga are arriving in 6 days (but who's counting) and we'll be going to Koh Samet and then meeting up in Vietnam. I'm also skipping the rest of school until April to travel, as I think it's in my best learning interest to experience things outside the classroom. And because I can. 

Lots of love and Chag Purim Sameach to everyone (especially you Jordan)
Fondlingly,
Esti

No comments:

Post a Comment